The 2M Series is designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove
The 2M Series is developed in conjunction with the Danish Industrial designer Møller Jensen Design – the same designer who designed the award winning MC Jubilee and Kontrapunkt series. Inspired by the facets of a diamond, whose contours gracefully trace the grooves on a record’s surface, the 2M’s handsome elegance establishes a great combination of form and functionality.
The name 2M was selected from among several ideas. We wanted a modern name that would be easy to pronounce and remember, and therefore an alphanumerical name was chosen. 2M means MM, which is the abbreviation for moving magnet.
Of course the 2M isn’t just another pretty face. It has been engineered to the highest standards and is congruent with Ortofon’s unrelenting commitment to providing the most precise and accurate reproduction possible without coloration.
- An improved engine, which provides a high level of sonic accuracy.
- Spherical diamond that is perfect for playback of 78 rpm shellac records, which require a larger stylus profile.
- the cartridge body is manufactured from Hopelex, an environment-friendly material which ensures high rigidity while eliminating unwanted resonances.
- 2M 78 uses a strapped output to deliver the same output signal from both sets of pole pins. This effectively eliminates the need for mono-specific equipment, making it possible to enjoy true mono reproduction on any stereo playback system.
The 2M Series provides excellent compatibility when used in an assortment of playback systems and with a wide variety of phono preamps.
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. - 4 mV
- Frequency response - 20-20.000 Hz + 3 / - 1 dB
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force - 70 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral - 18 µm/mN
- Stylus type - Spherical
- Stylus tip radius - R 65 µm
- Tracking force range - 1.6-2.0g (16-20 mN)
- Tracking force, recommended - 1.8 g (18 mN)
- Internal impedance, DC resistance - 700 Ohm
- Internal inductance - 350 mH
- Recommended load resistance - 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance - 150-300 pF
- Tracking angle - 20°
- Cartridge colour, body/stylus - Black/Grey
- Cartridge weight without screws - 7.2
AUDIOPHILIA September 25, 2020 Reviewed by Jesús González-Monreal
"... the 2M Mono gave new cohesion to my listening experience...
...Having the Ortofon 2M Mono allows more closeness to these (MONO - red.) recordings...
Yes, stereo has won the ‘battle’ of recordings. It’s rare these days a label releases a mono version. However, the mono recordings have something interesting: in competing for space in a one channel sound, the various instruments create the ambiance of stillness, a hypnotic moment where all is there, the intensity of the moment in its full capacity. And here is where we can make the case that the 2M Mono from Ortofon gets you authentic and superior mono sound."
Continue reading https://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/2020/8/19/ortofon-mono-cartridge
Positive Feedback May-June 2015 Reviewed by Tom Gibbs
"...the 2M Mono is a truly exceptional transducer. The sound from this true-mono cartridge just blows away the sound you get from a mono-via-stereo cartridge setup. Because the mono cartridge only deals with the groove signal in a single plane, the resultant sound is impressively quiet compared to the modulation of surface noise and groove geometry shortcomings you often must deal with in playback of mono sources from a stereo cartridge. The end result is that you can really hear very deeply into the music; the 2M Mono sounded magnificent right out of the box, and has only gotten better as it's broken in. ...I would say that the 2M Mono has an up-front, somewhat forward quality in it's presentation of the music; the images are sharply detailed, but never etched—and the music is never fatiguing to listen to. This cartridge comes with my highest recommendation...
...with the very reasonable, real-world asking price and remarkable performance of the baseline model, I don't see how it could get much better than this!"
Hi-Fi World August 2013 Reviewed by Tony Bolton
OUTSTANDING - simply the best!
"...I found this cartridge to be a very well thought out design, that complements the sonic presentation of the conventional 2M Series with an ability to play older, and sometimes more worn records, in an exemplary manner..."
- Last, quite punchy sound - Very low surface noise - Good detail retrieval ... The nude, spherical, 18 micrometer radius stylus is claimed by the manufacturers to be the optimum size for tracking the wider grooves of mono era records. It rides correctly in the groove, avoiding dirt at the bottom, unlike a smal/er microgroove stylus that rides too low..."
In the beginning was the sound track
On the 9th of October 1918, the two Danish engineers, Axel Petersen (1887-1971) and Arnold Poulsen (1889-1952) founded the Electrical Phono Film Company with a few capable and foresighted businessmen who would support the organization financially.
Their aim was to explore the possibility of high-class recording and developing one of the first synchronized sound film systems in the world. Under primitive conditions, the two Danish engineers and their small staff had to solve a number of what were considered insuperable problems.
Today Ortofon is a micro-mechanical powerhouse, which develops, manufactures and markets the world acclaimed Ortofon phono cartridges and components for the Hearing Aids industry. We benefit from being established in Denmark, a country recognized for its strong tradition in acoustics and its wealth of other high-end manufacturers, who make hearing aids and acoustic measurement equipment, in addition to all aspects of high-end audio.
Ortofon is owned by Danish businessmen and employs a staff of about 150 people. The Ortofon manufacturing unit in Nakskov in the south of Denmark has modern machinery combined with experienced operators, so human craftsmanship is delivered with uniform industrial quality.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.