Optimal fit and sound reproduction
If your tonearm has a standard headshell or a cartridge mount, then step up to optimal sound reproduction with OM’s. A glance at anyone of these cartridges will reveal Ortofon's answer to perfect tonearm matching. Ingeniously tucked into the top of the mounting bracket is a tiny, removable weight-plate.
If your tonearm is an standard tonearm, just leave the weight-plate. If your tonearm is one of the low mass types, then simply remove the weight. The mass of your OM cartridge is now a mere 2.5g.
Super OM 5E features Elliptical stylus that provides balanced and distortion-free playback. Elliptical diamonds are able to follow the groove oscillations more accurately than spherical diamonds due to their contoured shape. This results in better tracking and less distortion.
The Super OM 5E major improvements:
1. By means of computer simulations it has been possible to define the natural pivot point of the system with unprecedented accuracy while achieving an optimum oscillation balance. The result: improved linearity, higher channel separation and reduced distortion.
2. OM Super cartridges models have split pole PINs which reduces magnetic losses at the treble end. This technology extends the frequency range and improves phase linearity.
3. OM Super 5 cartridge body is manufactured from a Noryl (plastic & glass compound) which ensures high rigidity and freedom from resonances.
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. - 4 mV
- Channel balance at 1 kHz - 1.5 dB
- Channel separation at 1 kHz - 22 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz - 15 dB
- Frequency response - 20-20.000 Hz + 3 / -3
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force - 60 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral - 20 µm/mN
- Stylus type - Elliptical
- Stylus tip radius - r/R 8/18 µm
- Tracking force range - 1.5-2.0 g (15-20 mN)
- Tracking force, recommended - 1.75 g (17.5 mN)
- Tracking angle - 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance - 1 kOhm
- Internal inductance - 580 mH
- Recommended load resistance - 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance - 200-500 pF
- Cartridge colour, body/stylus - Black/Black
- Cartridge weight incl. extra weight - 5 g
- Cartridge weight excl. extra weight - 2.5 g
- Replacement stylus unit - Stylus 5 E, Stylus 10
In the beginning was the sound track
On the 9th of October 1918, the two Danish engineers, Axel Petersen (1887-1971) and Arnold Poulsen (1889-1952) founded the Electrical Phono Film Company with a few capable and foresighted businessmen who would support the organization financially.
Their aim was to explore the possibility of high-class recording and developing one of the first synchronized sound film systems in the world. Under primitive conditions, the two Danish engineers and their small staff had to solve a number of what were considered insuperable problems.
Today Ortofon is a micro-mechanical powerhouse, which develops, manufactures and markets the world acclaimed Ortofon phono cartridges and components for the Hearing Aids industry. We benefit from being established in Denmark, a country recognized for its strong tradition in acoustics and its wealth of other high-end manufacturers, who make hearing aids and acoustic measurement equipment, in addition to all aspects of high-end audio.
Ortofon is owned by Danish businessmen and employs a staff of about 150 people. The Ortofon manufacturing unit in Nakskov in the south of Denmark has modern machinery combined with experienced operators, so human craftsmanship is delivered with uniform industrial quality.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.